Thursday, February 2, 2017

Snowy Owl







I always carry my camera, just in case I see something that catches my eye, and today was one of those days that I felt very lucky to have it with me.  I saw this beautiful Snowy Owl sanding on this post beside the road, maybe waiting for its prey.

These are some facts about them: Unlike most owls, which are nocturnal, Snowy Owls are diurnal (they hunt and are active both day and night).  They have unmistakable white plumage that echoes its Arctic origins. they are highly nomadic and their movements are tied to the abundance of their primary prey species, lemmings.  They are also known to aggressively defend their nests and will attack those that disturb their nests.

The Snowy Owl is also known as the Arctic Owl or the Great White Owl.

Love and many blessings.